Science Top Stories

Man dies due to West Nile Virus in Las Vegas

Man dies due to West Nile Virus in Las Vegas

Ever since June 3, Jill Moore now holds pictures and reminiscences of her late husband, Arnold Moore, near her heart. He was 68 when he died.

“I miss him lots,” she said.

Moore died of Encephalitis, due to the West Nile Virus, in response to his Certificate of Death.

About a month before he died, Jill says she remembers a morning where her husband just did not appear to be himself.

“Like, asking unusual questions, what time is the plumber going to get here, when there was no plumber coming,” she stated. “So it was like he didn’t know exactly who he was.”

At the hospital, he underwent test after take a look at, procedure after procedure. Initially, the doctors thought he was sick with a form of Meningitis, according to Jill.

“They did a second spinal faucet, and I guess that is once they said it was West Nile Virus,” she said. “I stated to the infectious disease doctor, ‘Who would have thought West Nile Virus, right here in Las Vegas?’ And he or she said, ‘It is everywhere.'”

Humans typically contract West Nile Virus from mosquitoes. Moore remembers seeing some a few months back.

“There were a few that were flying around our house that I killed,” she mentioned.

That was in April. Moore turned sick in May, and eventually died in June. She says they hadn’t traveled anywhere recently, and that her husband was a healthy man.

“He loved vegetables and fruit,” she stated. “He would have tomatoes for dinner or green beans.”

They plan is to spread his ashes in Napa Valley, California, a place she says he cherished. As she continues to deal with this unlucky reality, she wants everyone to know that just because Las Vegas is in the desert, that doesn’t mean that the West Nile Virus isn’t.

“I simply need to alert the public that it’s out there more than they’re saying, and it’s scary,” she mentioned.

About the author

Ginger Baker

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment